MARCIA BRITO || Visual Arts https://www.britoart.com/ firstname.lastname@example.org 310 401 3036
Visual Artist based in Miami, FL, certified by the Florida Department of Education to teach Art and recipient of a Master of Fine Arts degree (MFA) in Visual Arts from Jacksonville University, FL.
CURRENT PROJECT - Environmental Rescue of the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary.
2021 - Photographic Abstractions are in the permanent Aya Arts collection for the Sailboat Bend II https://whatsyourelephant.org/aya-arts-project/ and https://www.britoart.com/photographic-abstractions
1990 - Lead Actor in Children's Health film for permanent exhibit, Museum of Science & Industry, Chicago.
McColl Center for Art + Innovation, a Contemporary Art Space in Charlotte, NC, 10/29/2020 - 1/22/21.
Exhibit and Art Benefit Live Auction to champion contemporary artists and spark creative experiences for positive community impact. https://event.gives/mccollcenter/items/129684
SOLO EXHIBITS & EVENTS
- Museum of Science & History (MOSH) - Photographic Abstractions - Three-month solo exhibit of conceptual photographs. Cross media experiment between photography and painting; camera is used as a brush in space, capturing light, color and movement. 40x60 inch giclée on canvas, 11/2018-1/2019.
- Jacksonville Downtown Art Walk - Photographic Abstractions - Non-Objective Photographs. Solo exhibit. Jul/Aug: https://www.facebook.com/marcia.brito.54966/posts/10156654727225669
- Published Photographic Abstractions: An Experiment of Abstract Expressionism in Photography. MFA Thesis. Linda Berry Stein College of Fine Arts. Jacksonville University (FL). April. https://www.facebook.com/marcia.brito.54966/posts/10157189308960669
2016 - Conceptual Sand Painting Installation - Red Sand On White Sand Over A Half Mile - Interactive Earthwork on the sands of Miami Beach, FL. I lent my voice to the #REDSANDPROJECT to raise awareness and help the fight against modern day slavery, human trafficking, sex slavery, and child labor by painting the white sands of South Beach with red sand. https://www.britoart.com/earthwork-installation
2015 - Site Specific Installation of My Seahorse, Sculpture - plaster, wood, metal, burlap, 4 x 4.5 feet, on the sands of Miami Beach, FL. Created as a symbol of the frailty of our existence. Constructed with fragile and ephemeral components to reference the principle that the environment must be protected and treated delicately. https://www.britoart.com/environmental-sculpture
2010 - The Hollywood Corner, Los Angeles, CA - Solo Photography Exhibit. October 2009 to April 2010.
2009 - Photographed U2 live in concert at Croke Park Stadium, Dublin, Ireland. July 24th and 25th.
2007 - 2004 Photographed Carnaval in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
2006 - Beverly Hills Executive Suites Art Exhibit - Solo Photography Exhibit. Dec. 2006 to Nov. 2007.
2006 - Brazilian Consulate Gallery in Los Angeles - Solo Photography Exhibit. 1/20 to 4/18 2006.
2020 Ongoing exhibits: closed due to COVID-19
- Pridelines Art Gallery - Photographic Abstractions. 6360 NE 4th CT, Miami, Fl, 33138. https://www.britoart.com/photographic-abstractions
- Museum of Science & History (MOSH) - A Retrospective - Photographs of Nature and Animals, various sizes, available at the MOSH store. 1025 Museum Cir, Jacksonville, FL 32207. closed due to COVID-19 https://www.britoart.com/animals and https://www.britoart.com/photography
- Art Basel Miami - Photographic Abstractions. Exhibit and Artist Talk at Pridelines Art Gallery.
- One World Trade Center, New York - One Self - Project celebrating identity and self-reflection.
- Two Women Visual Art Exhibit - Art Walk Downtown Jacksonville, FL. 11/2018 - 2/2019.
- SCOPE Art - Art Basel Miami Beach 2018 - Photographic Abstractions exhibit, booth B39. 12/4-9.
- In The Works - MFA Thesis Exhibit at Alexander Brest Museum of Art, Jacksonville, FL. 7/26-8/26.
- Arts = Humanity - Conceptual Sand Painting Installation for human freedom at Miami’s Adrienne Arsht Center. Supported by Women Arts, SWAN Miami Day & the Spoken Soul Festival. 4/7.
- Earth Day - Cube Painting - Site Specific Painting Installation for Environmental Conservation at the lake on the campus of the West Kendall Baptist Hospital, Miami, FL. 4/22.
- Art Boulevard - Conceptual Cube Painting Installation in honor of Nursing Week at the West Kendall Baptist Hospital, Miami, FL. May 7th 2018 to March 2019.
2017 - #ArtTakesMiami2017 - Online exhibit of global creators during Art Basel Miami. Dec 4-10.
2016 - Art Takes Over Times Square, NY, Conde Nast Building, 4th floor - Photography Exhibit. June.
- Le Musee du Louvre, Paris, France - Exposure Award exhibit for The Sky Collection. July 13.
- SCOPE Art, Art Basel Miami Beach 2015 Photography exhibit, booth B27. December 3-8.
2014 - SCOPE Art, Art Basel Miami Beach 2014 Photography exhibit, booth G19. December 4-7.
2013 - SCOPE Art, Art Basel Miami Beach 2013 Photography exhibit, booth C21 & C22. Dec. 3-8.
2010 - Beverly Hills Country Club Art Exhibit, Beverly Hills, CA. May.
- Ten Women Gallery, Venice, CA - Day of the Dead Photography Exhibit. October.
- Intergenerational Arts Festival: Celebration of Life, Santa Monica, CA, group exhibit. October
- Brazilian Day in L.A. Art Exhibit. Tar Pits Museum, Los Angeles, CA, group exhibit. September.
- Ten Women Gallery, Santa Monica, CA - group exhibit. April to August.
- Ten Women Gallery, Venice, CA - Guest Artist Photography Exhibit. March.
2008 - Brazilian Consulate Gallery, Beverly Hills, CA - 2 Year Art Retrospective. April - September.
2006 - Brazilian Day in L.A. Art Exhibit. Tar Pits Museum, Los Angeles. September.
2005 - The Smithsonian Institution & the Millard Sheets Gallery Exhibit at the L.A. County Fair. September.
- 21st Annual Abbot Kinney Art Festival, Venice, CA - Artist Pavilion. September.
2004 - 2005 The Santa Monica Corsair News, CA - Photojournalist. Photographed arts & leisure, portrait,
pictorial, illustration, documentary, photo stories, community spot news, sports & features.
-Spring 2018, Visual Art Pedagogy Residency at Jacksonville University: Series of Master Classes in Conceptual Photography, which I taught to undergraduate students at Jacksonville University, FL.
Residency Flyer - https://b577bab5-5dd3-4ba8-bb4e-5876e2778ffe.filesusr.com/ugd/2d2275_068ee40fd4e64f72ad7411ee8ab83988.pdf
Photos from Residency and my students’ artworks - https://www.britoart.com/ju-workshop
-Summer 2018, Studio Art Residency at Jacksonville University, FL: Four weeks of intensive programing on the university campus, which culminated with an art opening and month exhibit at the Alexander Brest Museum of Art in Jacksonville, FL.
Residency Artworks - Photographic Abstractions https://www.britoart.com/photographic-abstractions
-Summer 2017, Studio Art Residency at Jacksonville University, FL: Six weeks of intensive programing on the university campus and culminated with an artist presentation.
Residency Artworks - Life Size Human Contact Painting Installation: https://www.britoart.com/painting
Silver Men, Life size conceptual painting - Nontoxic acrylic on human on paper, 9 x 12 feet.
Golden Men, Life size conceptual painting - Nontoxic acrylic on human on paper, 12 x 14 feet.
2019 - The Wave Magazine - https://wavemagazineonline.com/photographer-educator-professional-ballerina-ju-mfa-student-marcia-brito-wows-mosh-guests/
- Aquarian, Literature & Visual Arts Review - Volume 49, page 105 - Photographic Abstraction No.5
https://Aquarian, Literature and Visual Arts Review/Marcia Brito
2016 - The Beauty of Humanity - Book, Page 58 - Exhibit at SCOPE Art Miami Beach for Art Basel, Dec :
https://issuu.com/exposureaward/docs/the_beauty_of_humanity - page 58.
2015 - The Sky Collection - Book, Page 106 - Exhibit at Le Musee du Louvre, Paris, France on July 13th:
http://issuu.com/exposureaward/docs/the_sky_collection?e=16695655/14428134 - page 106.
2007 - Brazilian Press Association - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Online publication of Carnaval photographs.
- Brazil Explore Magazine - Los Angeles. No. 67, pages 32, 33. March.
- Soul Brasil Magazine - Los Angeles, issue 27, front cover and pages 24, 25. Dec./Jan.
2006 - Santa Barbara News Press, CA. Front page of Style sec. 2/27. Photographs of Brazilian Carnaval.
- Brasil Best Magazine - Los Angeles, No. 80, front cover and centerfold, pages 24, 25. October.
2005 - Brazil Locations Book - Brazilian Consulate in L.A. Photographs of the Brazilian landscapes.
- Santa Monica Corsair News, CA. Centerfold, pp 6, 7 of Arts & Leisure, 3/16. Carnaval 2005 Photos.
2004 - Santa Monica Corsair News - P. 10, Sept 29th. Photo Essay on the Brazilian Rainforest.
AWARDS, GRANTS & FELLOWSHIPS
2021 - Rauschenberg Grant - disbursed by the New York Foundation for the Arts (NYFA)
- CERF+ “Get Ready” Grant - COVID resilience project.
2020 - Artist Relief Grant - A coalition of National Arts Grant-makers https://www.artistrelief.org/partners
- Oolite Arts Grant - Oolite Arts Relief Fund for COVID-19
- Miami-Dade Artists Support! (MÁS!) Grant - Miami-Dade County Department of Cultural Affairs.
2018 - 2017 American Association of University Women (AAUW) Award for Career Advancement.
2017 - Howard Gilman Fellowship - from Jacksonville University, Fine Arts Department.
2014 - Art Takes Miami - Awarded to exhibit during Art Basel Miami 2014.
2013 - Art Takes Miami - Awarded to exhibit during Art Basel Miami 2013.
2005 - 1st Place Award Carnaval Series-Manhattan Beach Hometown Fair Art Exhibit/Competition. CA.
- Jacob Rubel Memorial Award for Photography. Santa Monica College, California. June.
- The Corsair Photography Award for Best Dominant Art of the Year. Santa Monica, CA. June.
- Photographic Excellence Award and Exhibition at The Barrett Art Gallery, Santa Monica. April.
- JACC - Feature Photo Award. California State Photojournalism Competition, Sacramento. April.
2004 - 1st Place Personal Vision Award. Corsair Awards. Santa Monica, CA. December.
2004 - Corsair Outstanding Wild Art Award for outstanding performance and lasting contribution. Dec.
- JACC On-the-Spot News Photo Award. Southern CA Conference/Competition, Fullerton. October.
1991 - 1988 Roosevelt University Scholarship Award for academic merit. Chicago, IL.
1990 - National Dean's List
1990 - 1989 Roosevelt University Dean's List
1988 - International Institute of Education of New York Award - scholarship for high academic performance, renewed for the complete program of studies at Roosevelt University.
1986 - 1980 Member of the Brazilian National Rhythmic Gymnastics Team and participated in 1982 Gymnaestrada, in Zurich, Switzerland.
2019 - 2017 Master of Fine Arts Degree in Visual Arts at Jacksonville University, FL. Grad. 4/25/2019.
2015 - 2014 Florida International University. Miami, FL - Visual Arts.
2012 - Miami Dade College. Miami, FL - Art History.
2012 - Broward College. Fort Lauderdale, FL - Art History.
2008 - 1999 Santa Monica College. California - Visual Arts.
1992 - 1988 Roosevelt University. Chicago, IL. Bachelor of Arts. January 1992.
1988 - 1987 IBEU (Institute Brazil United States). Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - Teacher Training Course - English.
1988 - 1982 Alliance Francaise of Brazil. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - Teacher Training Course - French.
TEACHING AND ADVISING EXPERIENCE
2019 - 2016 Teaching Credential - Certified by the Florida Department of Education to teach Art.
2018 - Conceptual Photography Workshop to undergraduate students at Jacksonville University, FL.
2016 - Full time Art Teacher at Colbert Museum Magnet School in Hollywood, FL.
- Colbert Museum Night - Curator of the Visual Art Exhibit from students pre-K to 5th grades.
- Colbert After School Program - Ceramics Club - Ceramic Arts individual instruction.
2000 - Present - Private and in-Studio Teaching of Drawing, Painting, Ceramics, Sculpture and Photography.
1991 - Peer Advisor for Roosevelt University Project Enter – Advising & recruitment of high school seniors.
2009 - volunteered time and artwork for Senior Arts Foundation in Santa Monica, California.
2008 - volunteered time and artwork for Sony Studios Christmas party for inner city kids in Culver City, LA.
1990 - 2008 Actor/Model - Volunteered time and talent for film projects at the American Film Institute in Los Angeles, at Columbia College in Chicago, and at The Art Institute of Chicago, IL.
1990 - 1991 Student Senator of the Roosevelt University, IL, Student Body, through elections. Member of the
Students Rights and Privileges Committee. Member of the Student Legislative Affairs Committee.
LANGUAGES - Fluent in English, Portuguese, French, Spanish, and some Italian.